...sunny, sunny, Basrah...

Wednesday 24 March 2010

All smoke and mirrors, signal, manoeuvre.





Disclaimer: I am not a smoker.  I have had the odd cigarette when rather stressed on detachments but never had a 'habit'.


What a ridiculous news story, but I don't blame the BBC as they are just reporting the calls of the Royal College of Physicians.


I'm with the RCoP on the calls for not smoking around children, why make them suffer for a choice you made?  As an adult you can ask the person driving/passenger in the car not to light up or to put it out before you get in, a child probably wouldn't say anything other than a bout of coughing.  But to ban it from cars completely?  Daft call, as it can't and probably won't happen.  Can you imagine a policeman pulling over a car of a 70 year old man, with his pipe, on his own, giving him an on the spot fine or a caution?


Don't get me wrong, if you have children in the car there is no way you should smoke anyway.  Regardless of any planned laws in the future.  Thats common sense, then again some people in this modern day seem incapable of displaying such sense.  What happens in your car is generally your own business and up to you.  I understand the rules on mobile phones and congratulate the law for it being passed, but smoking being banned?  Whats next? A policemen pulling me over because I have an old BigMac box on the backseat?  Its presence there adding to global warming because it is adding more weight to the car, therefore reducing my MPG and also being wasted in the big picture as it hasn't been recycled yet?


I commend thee for trying Royal College of Physicians, but I can't see you getting the victory you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment